Originally printed in the November 2017 issue of Casual Living
Casual Living’s exclusive Universe Study of the outdoor home furnishings industry provides estimated 2017, 2016, and 2015 retail sales totals for outdoor furniture and grills, as well as the percentage and dollar breakdowns by specific products through all
distribution channels. All figures are Casual Living market research estimates. All data is based on U.S. retail sales figures and do not include secondhand or used merchandise. All figures have been rounded.
Universe Study figures include sales from outdoor dining sets, chat groups, other seating, shade products, other outdoor furniture and grills. Casual and outdoor accessories, as well as outdoor lighting, have been excluded from figures. The research is based on numerous data sources. Final numbers are a combination of data and information from the following:
• Import figures from the International Trade Commission
• Personal Consumption Expenditure data from the U.S. Department of Commerce and Bureau of Economic Analysis
• Retail trade figures from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Census of Retail Trade
• Consumer Expenditure Survey data from the U.S. Census Bureau and Bureau of Labor Statistics
• Outdoor furniture purchase incidence and price point data from Casual Living’s 2015 Consumer Buying Trends Survey
• Exclusive retailer sales data from Casual Living’s 2016 and 2015 Powerhouse Specialists
• Retail sales figures from sister publication Furniture Today’s exclusive rankings and retailer reports, including the Top 100 U.S. Furniture Stores, Top 25 Furniture and Bedding Retailers, Beyond the Top 100 and the Leading eTailers
• Outdoor furniture product data from EASI Demographics and sister publication Furniture Today
• Industry reports on the outdoor home furnishings market, including reports from the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association
• Public filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission
• Conversations with retailers, vendors and industry analysts
The research was conducted by PBM Strategic Insights. The sponsor of this presentation, Castelle, had no involvement in the development of product sales estimates or distribution sales estimates.